Friday, August 14, 2009

Baby Got Hat. FREE pattern

Super Simple Stripy Baby Hat

Content: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
Weight: Worsted Weight
Gauge: 4.5 - 5 sts = 1" on #6 - 9 needles (4.0mm-5.5mm)
Amount: 110 yards/50 gram ball
Care: Machine Washable/Tumble Dry Low

My Gauge: 5 st = 1 inch
Needle: Size 7 40" Circle needle for Magic Loop (although I think they recommend longer but this works fine for a baby hat) Here is a suggestion that I should of done: Cast on and Knit the 1st 3 round with a size 6.

Size: 16 inches around. I have a tiny babe so I made this to fit him in the fall I'm saying it's a 3-6 month size but you should measure your kids head and go with that for size. I will try to post other sizes when I can.

Note: the Stripy part is totally free hand, which means I made it up as I went. I looked at it and then said "oh that's enough of that color" then switched. I used 5 different colors and do start a repeat because there was room.

Pattern:

Cast on 80 Stitches. Divide in half for magic loop, pull cord through.

K1P1 rib for  3 rounds. (Here is a suggestion that I should of done: Cast on and Knit the 1st 3 round with a size 6.)

Change to knit only and knit until the hat measures 5 inches

Begin Decrease on next round

Decrease rd : *K6 K2Tog*    K2  37 st remain
K round
Decrease rd : *K5  K2Tog*  K2  20 st remain
K round
Decrease rd : *K4  K2Tog*  K2  17 st remain
K round
Decrease rd : *K3  K2Tog*  K2  14 st remain
K round
Decrease rd : *K2  K2Tog*  K2  11 st remain
Decrease rd : *K 1 K2Tog*  K2  8 st remain
Decrease rd 2: *K2Tog*   4 st remain

For the top you can do an i cord, but since your in magic look you can just knit till the desired length and then bind off. ( Mine is an inch long)

* disclaimer* I typed this one handed while holding the baby and quick while my toddler napped so if there is a flaw in the pattern please let me know! Also this is the 1st pattern I've ever written down for someone else, please be kind and gentle.

1 comment:

Torey said...

adorable picture!!! if I could knit, I would make that hat!