Monday, December 28, 2009

Oh No She Didn't!

Why yes indeed, its true! You may want to make sure you're sitting down for this one just in case you faint from shear disbelief.

It's been over a year in the making, you've seen some progress here and there.

And now for the 1st time anywhere, Loki's On A Whim Quilt!!!!


Pattern: Easy Lap Quilt from Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol
Fabric: On a Whim (Robert Kaufman),  a wee bit of Amy Butler Lotus full moon polka dot, Ohio Sky happy dots,  and AB45 blue solid (also some brown and green swirly fabric that I have no idea what it is).
Modifications: I changed the overall size to be just big enough to cover the top of a twin bed with no overhang.  
It ended up being 45 x 63 1/2.


I even managed to do mitered corners. 

For the binding I cut the quilt backing to be 2 inches wider than the overall quilt and then folded it over about a 1/2 inch then folded it again and sewed it down. I think for my next quilt (for Astas) I will make binding, ugh. I think it will just make a nicer looking reverse side.

Why now? What kicked me into high gear and got my lazy bones motivated? Well, two things: My lovely friend Rae and the fact that she linked to me and my unfinished quilt (hangs head). Thank you, thank you Rae (see hers here) And I finally found fabric to make Astas a quilt. I could in no way persuade myself to buy fabric for another quilt when I hadn't finished the first one. I guess it's a good thing I had another baby or Loki may never have seen a finished product.